Saturday, February 17, 2007

Random Hockey Math Rant

The NHL's Northwest division is tough! Everybody put their Hockey Math jersery on and I'll explain this using mathematic principles...

There are 5 teams in each division, 3 divisions in the West and 3 in the East. The Canucks lead the Northwest with 70 points, the last place team in the Northwest has 60 points. A mere 10 points, or 5 wins, separate first from last place.
Comparatively the top team in the Central division has 81 points and the bottom team has 51 points. That translates to 30 points, or 15 wins. No team can mount a comeback that significant!
The Pacific division has the top team with 76 points, and the bottom team with 47. Again, a point spread of this magnitude (29 points) is insurmountable in my generation's NHL.

The Eastern conference divisions are spread just as greatly. The only one comparable to the Northwest division is the Southeast. The Southeast division has a point spread of 14 points, which is low for the East. But compared to the rest of the NHL, those teams just aren't as good as the West. Trust me, they don't win as much as people might think.

So, when compared to the entire NHL, the Northwest division is the hardest to beat. Every team in the Northwest has a Win record better than .500 (more wins than losses). And with a stupid lopsided schedule that favours divisional play, there's really no way to fix it. The NHL has to fix the schedule. It's stupid to play the 4 other teams in our division 8 times in a season, and only play 10 teams from the Eastern Conference once.
Who came up with that garbage?

Gary Bettman needs somebody to kick him right in the junk. Hard.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I would totally kick him the junk as I concur with your argument. Only problem is it would mess with my reputation as a sweet, kind person and you don't screw that up when you have it going for you.

Phats said...

Umm what, GO CANUCKS!

I try to watch hockey I just can't though. Besides I have no effin clue what channel it's on in the states

4ever29 said...

You have had a lot of time on your hands huh?

Lindsey and Mike said...

I love my hockey math geek:)