Saturday, May 20, 2006

"As long as there's a record deal we'll always be friends"

Lately I've been getting the feeling that I just don't make a great friend. I always try to be a great friend, but my efforts thus far have been less than stellar. I seem to have developed a knack for making people disappointed in my friendship efforts after the 'get to know you' phase is over.
Once, every so often, I tend to forget to call people back even when I say I will. I don't like that I do that. I haven't really been very good with keeping up my correspondence, ie. letters, e-mails, phone calls. I used to think it was so uncool how everyone always seemed to be too busy to talk. But now I have become my own worst version of uncool.
I'd like to make more time for friends, but I've been meeting a ton of new people over the last few months, (literally, like 40-50) and my brain just feels like it's getting stretched way too thin. I forget to call the people I've said I was going to call. I try and write things down now so I don't forget what it is I should be doing for the next few hours, and who I should be calling. It's always, go-go-go, and I've not totally adjusted to it all, yet.
This is actually the first time in a few weeks I've been able to sit down and do very little during the day.
Here's an excerpt from a real conversation I had with a daycare Mom back in March,
Me - "Yeah I had a really busy weekend after spending the whole day with those kids (list off some things quickly, leaving little time for story telling)"
She - "Wow, when did you get a chance to put your feet up?"
Me - "Umm... I haven't yet"

Not that I'm complaining about it though. This isn't meant to be a rant. I'm just trying to illustrate how busy I make myself. See how I'm not a very great friend? I have to figure out how to fit myself into everyone else's schedule without compromising my own. It's tricky.

I wish I knew how to balance all of this. I've got friends who live all over, and they're all very important to me. So when I've been neglectful, it's not personal, really.

Just be happy that I've made myself happy with being busy all the time. Please?

3 comments:

Phats said...

You're lucky Mike H, that in times like these you have a great friend like TGP you can lean on sir!

Anonymous said...

real friends understand that sometimes you just get busy. Don't worry we'll all be here when you finall come up for air.

Anonymous said...

Mike, you know that Sarah Ethan Lyndon and I always understand that your life is changing. It's no big deal. You work with kids, and you love it, that's a good thing. REAL friends understand that life is busy, I mean look who's telling you this. Seriously. You are a good friend.