Thursday, May 11, 2006

I'm the coolest kid you know

I love Thursdays. It's the day I get to play with the best group of kids under the age of 6 ever assembled. Thursdays is Mom 2 Mom at my church. Sandwiched into a day that begins and ends at Rainbow daycare.

I love that I have a fan base in this group of children. There's this one set of 2 year old twins (there are 3 sets that can show up on any given Thursday) that couldn't have a more opposite set of personalities. Twin #1 is mellow and easily pleased. He chews on the tag of his blanky and takes it all in stride. Twin #2 needs constant attention. He always wants to be picked up, and has to show me everything. But it's cool. I love the attention he gives me too. Apparently he knows my name now, and when his Mom mentions my name to him, he gets really excited. (So cute!)

I love my new little 4 year girlfriend. She totally has a crush on me, I know because she gives me hugs and kisses whenever she sees me. On my birthday I was planning on sleeping in, but I ended up getting a phone call from my little friend asking,
"Where are you? How come you're not here?" (here being Quantam Gym) "I want you to come here and play!" My Mom had just called me to organize something, and she bounded in to the Gym right after my Mom hung up the phone with me, asking where I was.
And when we were leaving she gave me a great big hug and said, "When am I gonna see you again? I'm gonna miss you."
This girl is too cute for real life, and my heart melts for her every time she asks me to do something. I've asked her mother how she ever says No to her, but her Mom just laughs and says it's easy. Well it's not easy for me! She is just way too cute for real life. Dy-mo-mite!

I love that I was a preschool sub today. It came up that one of the teacher's at the local Montessori preschool was off sick this afternoon, and since one of the daycare Mom's who is Director of Something Important at Montessori knew that my love of 4 and 5 year olds knows no bounds, she asked me to fill in. It was an easy afternoon. In the two and a half hours I was there I received 11 drawings, 6 from one child in particular. These kids wanted me to do everything with them from play picture bingo to reading the dinosaur book to them. And I was just there to crowd control!

I love that all the Rainbow daycare kids respect me now. Maybe it is the fact that I can draw Pokemon, or that I'm always the best at the games we play. It could even be the fact that I'm tough as nails and don't let them get away with any bad behaviour or bad attitude without a time out. Today was a good indication of just how much they respect me. The other behaviour support staff member was directing a 6 year old boy on what he should be doing for Quiet Time, and he shot back with "You're not the boss of me, Mike is" I only just barely contained the laughter that I so desperately wanted to release.

I love my life right now. It just gets better and better everyday.

Now if only I could figure out how to use this kid magnetism on women, I'd be the Coolest kid in your Universe.

10 comments:

Carly said...

mikeh - your entry made me smile. i'm glad things are going so well, yet glad is such a weak word.

Amanda said...

Hey I'm happy you passed Heather and Lindsey's interview, you rock! Anyone that understands the joy (and really, the hilarity) of being with a group of 5-and-unders is a friend of mine!

Lindsey and Mike said...

'Too cute for real life'-well played:) Montessori Mike, no wonder you're a hit with the under age crowd: your magnetic personality paired with your height...if I was a little child I would think you were literally the Friendly Giant and I would secretly tell all my little friends that I was friends with a giant and they would all be in awe.

Phats said...

I believe you have totally found your calling! :) good for you

Anonymous said...

Well, I see that you are having a great time at work, don't we all wish this was one of us.

Well, I am off to Alaska for the week, WCB said that it was okay.

So will catch up on all your news in 9 days.

Be good, or be careful.

Anonymous said...

Mike H I love you and I Love your job!! .... haha im one of TGPS random assed (yet wonderful) readers and i secretly stalk your blog too haha...

This job you have... do you need any qualifications? aside from being able to draw a mean pokeman? ... like have you done your ECE?

Just curious... i need work :)

Mike H said...

Cranberry - Glad is sufficient, but so is ecstatic.

Amanda - I'm glad too, or ecstatic. That interview process was hard work.

Lindsey - I'm the BFG, yo.

Phats - Yes, it is very fun. I'm kind of ecstatic about it.

Pockey - We could if you called more often!

Steph - The long distance grab? Sweet.

Purelucke - See you soon!

Trisha - Alls I got is 25 years of life experience. And the patience and understanding to work with children who have challenging behaviours. I'm thinking I may go through ECE eventually, but school seems so BLAH to me right now.
What are YOUR qualifications?

4ever29 said...

As the Mom of 2 of your little Mom 2 Mom friends, I thank you for everything you do! You are awesome!!!

Phats said...

Hmm i thought i was the coolest?

Anonymous said...

Hahhahaa my qualifications?

Well I kinda just finished my Psych Degree at UBC.... except ONE course which ends in two months, but i hardly consider myself qualified to do anything!! :)