Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Canada! F#CK YEAH!

Wow.

What a vacation. The past 10 days have been, unequivocally, the very best vacation I have ever had. I kept saying it during the week, because it is the truth. Holly's family is, in a word, Awesome.
I didn't even mind that the weather wasn't all that cooperative. (It rained on 3 or 4 occasions.) I didn't mind that every time I looked at the Canucks scores, they were losing (except once!) I didn't mind about anything at all. I was totally noncommital every time a decision had to be made. I was just 'along for the ride'.
I don't remember the last time I drank so much during a vacation. I only spent $30US on a few books, and the other hundreds went to admission, food, and alcohol. Wicked.

We went to Disneyland. We drove the Pacific Coast Highway (which is beautiful by the way.) We picked oranges, tangellos, limes, grapefruits, and avocados right from the tree. We ate a whole bunch of really great Mexican food. We ate at In-n-Out Burger. We met some really cool people. We drank and drank and drank. We had fun.

I'm really glad I'm home though. I missed my bed, my daily routine, my friends, my family, my job. It's nice to just be 'along for the ride' for 10 days, but that's not an existence I'd like to experience too often. I enjoy being useful, and I think most other people do too.

I was able to read 3 books while I was down in Southern California.

The Cure for Death by Lightning by Gail Anderson-Dargatz
Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland
How to be Good by Nick Hornby

The Cure for Death by Lightning, is extremely boring. It just didn't hold my interest, and I was glad when I finished it.
Girlfriend in a Coma, was really good. I've read a lot of Coupland books, and they've all impressed me. This one was a lot more Sci-Fi than his other books. I mean, visions of the end of the world? A ghost who cures the main characters? This is not your typical Coupland book, but it's still an entertaining read.
How to be Good, that I just finished today, is really good as well. It's the first Hornby book I've read, and it's amazing. I want to read his other books now.

I also went to see 3 movies when I was in Southern California

Ultraviolet - Don't even bother watching this one. It's like they just wanted to film a bunch of cool action scenes and figure out the plot afterwards. The effects aren't even that good either. There are a couple of really cool action sequences, but seriously, it's not worth the pile of dog crap storyline to pay money to see it. I was really disappointed too, because Milla Jovovich is so cool in The Fifth Element.
V for Vendetta - I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and not just because I have a huge crush on Natalie Portman. I can't believe that there are stories like this out there in graphic novel form that I have yet to read. This is one I'd watch again because the vision of the future is so... real. I think I'm gonna have to go buy me a copy of Alan Moore's Watchmen before the movie gets made. Seriously, this guy can write!
16 Blocks - It's like a really good (lengthy) episode of NYPD Blue. I think Mos Def is rad, and Bruce Willis can do no wrong when it comes to action. Overall, it's not a bad little movie.

6 comments:

that girl possessed said...

YEAH MIKE H IS HOME!!!!!!

douglas copeland stole a smiths song for his title.... odd.

Carly said...

bienvenue au canada!!!!

we missed the "h-ster".

v for vendetta was crazy. it is a bold reminder to question your government.

Phats said...

did you ride the matterhorn???

MRW said...

Didn't Jonathan Taylor Thomas star in Nick Hornby years ago?

that girl possessed said...

mike h, i love you to pieces and you know i only want you to be supremely happy. but. you can never ever ever leave me for that long again. seriously.

Anonymous said...

I'll admit that I was worried...how would you get along with my family, would we get along for an entire week...and then I kept thinking seriously this guy can not be this laid back...but you are. I give this vacation a 10 and an "I wish I was still in vacation"