Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fighting and Laughing

Confession time. I like cartoons. Except for those who actually know me, this is not new.

My most favourite cartoon to watch is Justice League Unlimited. I can't get enough of this show. It's not even a kids cartoon, even though it tries to be. But where else do you get to see Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman all fighting super villains together? Nowhere, that's right.
I love superheroes. I'm not even comic book fanboy, because most of my comic education comes from Justice League. It all started back in the early nineties with Batman The Animated Series. I now own every available Batman episode on DVD. And then there was Superman The Animated Series. Both of those cartoons were by far my favourites. Even though I never remembered when they were on, and I was probably too busy being a teenager. Because what teen in their right mind watched cartoons and admitted it. Not me!

Instead I get to catch up on those series much later in life. By buying them on DVD. Of course, all of my work friends want to borrow them, because they won't actually buy them. I'm just the cool cartoon guy at work who buys all these cool cartoon DVD's. At least I lend them out.

But superheroes? I love 'em. We are in the greatest time for superhero movies right now. X-men? Spiderman? Superman? Batman? Seriously! I love these movies!

When you put them all together in one animated show? It's embarrasingly exciting. I just love Justice League. I downloaded the newest episodes and just watched them, if that explains the enthusiasm.

Now I'm listening to some Dane Cook. Before that it was Mitch Hedberg. These are two funny guys. Unfortunately Mitch has passed away, but he was still hilarious. I credit TGP for the heads up on these guys. She's good for my funny bone.

10 comments:

shipkicker said...

i like transformers. robots in disguise. if you have that, i'd like to borrow it.

Joshua said...

Mike H,

Thanks for visiting and commenting. I'm glad my post brought some enjoyment to someone (other than making Shipkicker realize what a stud I am).

Other music...if you are interested in finding other things that are a bit like Bloc Party, there are a couple of other English bands who have a similar style, and their albums were produced by Paul Epworth, who produced Silent Alarm: Maximo Park and The Futureheads. The Futureheads are a little more spazzy and goofy, and have a lot of great multi-part vocal harmonies and round-type arrangements on top of the post-punk guitar attack. Maximo Park are maybe a little bit more emo/The Smiths-ish. They don't rock out quite as much. Kind of small-towny sounding, very sincere music. And then often mentioned in this same group is of course Franz Ferdinand, but you've probably heard of them. If not, you should hear of them, too.


I hope to be posting other mp3s on my blog every week or so, but they will probably be things that are far different from this style of music. But whatever.

By the way I remember watching Batman The Animated Series every day after 7th and 8th grade. It was indeed an awesome cartoon.

Joshua said...

Wow, Shipkicker...I just came here to say something to Mike "H" (by the way Mike have you been confused with other Mikes around here, or did it just stick from elementary school?), and I saw your comment and my mouth dropped, because Transformers are the most optimus prime toys/cartoons of all time. You just get cooler every day. More than meets the eye. Do you remember Go-Bots, the Transformer rip-off cartoon?

This has inspired me to begin using optimus prime as a slang term from greatness. I.E.

"The Justice League is optimus prime viewing."

"Dude, Bloc Party's album is totally optimus prime."

Mike H said...

Like, the original 1984 Transformers? I've got access to the whole thing. All 98 episodes. If you're looking for Beast Wars/Machines, no dice. The 2001 Robots in Disguise wasn't so great, I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm not so up on the latest installments. TF:Armada, TF:Energon and TF:Cybertron. They're like, the new trilogy of series for the new generation of anime kids.

As for borrowing, how about we meet first, then I'll get on board with the borrowing. Like at yours/TGP's birthday on the 8th. That's still ON right?

Mike H said...

Whoa, post pile up. Check the times on those things, they nearly collided!
That last one was for Shipkicker.
But thanks for the info Josué. I'll be sure to check some of that out. Franz Ferdinand? Of course!

Carly said...

maximo park are cool.
i saw them when they opened for The Bravery on September 11th.

that girl possessed said...

i'm naming my first child optimus prime and the second one will be megatron. the names are both masculine and feminine, or so dane cook would have me believe.

as for birthday bash 2005, this saturday is shippy's. i shall call you this week, perhaps tomorrow, and give you the details. BUT i've totally double booked myself!!! AHHH!!!

Phats said...

So are you like Comic Book Guy? "worst episode ever!"

The simpsons will always be the best animated show EVER made.

Mike H said...

Phats - Simpson's? Longest running and most classic maybe. But I don't know about best. (methinks I just invited a world of hurt). Seriously, the 6th to maybe 10th, 11th seasons were awesome, but after that it just got repetitive. It's lost it's shiny newness. But that still hasn't stopped me from getting all the seasons on DVD.

Comic Book Guy is funny. I'm not that funny.

Phats said...

Won't be changing my mind, still think it's the best ever!! I have all seasons as well, and I am freakishly close to having each episode memorized.

last season and this season so far have been great!