Friday, September 16, 2005

What's with today, today?

Why is everybody suddenly taking stock of where they are in their lives? Is this seriously a birthday thing? Do all girls go through this thing in their twenties when they have a birthday and start reviewing where they are in their lives compared to where they wanted to be?

I just gotta ask because I did not go through something like this when I turned 24 last May. I was enjoying a Mexican sunset, single (at the time) with no prospects. And I was happy. I remember thinking that I was going to remember this 24th birthday for a very long time because I was sharing a beer in silence with my little brother in a country I had never been to before, enjoying a sunset. I'd never previously enjoyed a sunset with a family member. I had been cast aside by about every girl I had tried to strike up a conversation with because I had chosen to be in Mexico when only couples go to Mexico. I was without anybody to love, I was in debt to my knees, and my car had been stolen a week previous to me arriving. But I was still happy with my life and where I was, where I had been.

I guess everybody measures the successes in their lives differently. I mean, sure I feel stuck some days, but the feeling doesn't last very long and I don't let it get me down. What I know is that if I put my mind to anything I can get it done. If I want to leave the battery factory and do something worthwhile I KNOW I have the proverbial 'skills to pay the bills'.

There's this movie quote that has made me realize a lot about Life Plans.

"What do you think?"
"I think a plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen."

Rather than concern myself about where I am in my life plan (and I DO have one, just like everybody else), I look just around the corner and wonder what's going to happen next? I make the decisions I need to make, and not let my own worries/fears/concerns get in the way of living a full, healthy life. I cut out the bad, and keep in the good.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere.
Write that down.

2 comments:

Mike H said...

YES! I was beginning to feel left out.

I've finally been spammed.

that girl possessed said...

SPAM'D! CHILDREN! ARROW'D!

i like this entry a lot.