Tuesday, November 15, 2005

My work 'friends' are Nerds.

Henry Rollins is awesome! He is so unabashedly honest about the way he feels, and humble to the point of self humiliation, how can anyone not like the guy? I'm obviously a fan now. Although not to the extent that TGP is a fan. I do NOT want to bear his children.

Cher, we looked around for the people you knew. But alas, we saw no big chicks with retarded native friends. But we really looked hard, honestly.

***

I am a sucker, a rube, a small town country boy. Let me explain.

While we were standing in line (2 hours before the doors opened) I had to go throw out my now empty cup from the peppermint hot chocolate I had consumed earlier. On my way back to TGP, freezing her toes off in line, I was sidetracked by some guy (outdated jacket, backpack, a few days growth, didn't smell unshowered, he didn't appear homeless) asking me what the lineup was for. He seemed pretty excited that Rollins was in town and wanted to know if I had an exra ticket. Yeah right, my friends hadn't even shown up with my ticket. Little did I know that this small talk was merely a ploy to ask me for some food.
Damn. He just asked me for food, not money or weed or cigarettes, but actual food. I told him, being the soft hearted sucker that I am, that I would buy him a sandwich from the Starbucks we were standing outside. But he wouldn't go in. He said that he has had arguments with the employees at this Starbucks before so he could not go into it with me to pick out the sandwich of his liking. Then he said that he would rather have one of those gift cards because he could really use the coffee in the morning. I figured there was no harm in giving him a gift card that he could only use at a Starbucks location. It's not like giving a homeless guy money so he could go buy more drugs. He was very appreciative of my $5 donation to him and thanked me. I felt totally taken. I hope he actually went out and enjoyed a coffee and did not scam some poor person out of $20 for a Starbucks gift card that only had $5 on it.
I am such a sucker.

This all goes to show that at the heart of the matter, I will still believe that people are inherently good and they tell the truth when telling the truth is important.

I should just carry sandwiches around when I visit Vancouver.

9 comments:

cher said...

i'm glad you had fun. i will try and finda pic of her and him and see if you recognize them. was it a big concert?

i carry granolla bars and rockets around with me everywhere for the homeless. After i give them these things, i shamelssly take pictures and post them on my other blog... hey man, nothing's for free.
Panhandlers Gone Wild

that girl possessed said...

cher we looked so hard, between laughing of course. it wasn't an enormous concert but once rollins started speaking you can't take your eyes off the man.

perhaps it's because he is so handsome and well read? right mike? and it's the in thing to procreate with a watery sack of bad recessive genes that is double your age.

oh he's so wonderful, i'm very glad we were able to go together :) please starting preparing your speech for jim-bob, he'll grow up so fast.

Mike H said...

Cher - I believe it was sold out at The Vogue.
I've checked that blog out. Why didn't I think to bring granola bars? I'm such a rookie at this charity thing.

TGP - Handsome? Well read? Try HOT! Actually, we're all Hot.
Jim-Bob Bojangles? I'm waiting for the wedding announcement to appear in the paper first.

cher said...

by the way....my mailbox is still empty. *sniff*

Mike H said...

Cher, oh my gosh. SNAIL MAIL. I just mailed it yesterday. Give it some time!

Phats said...

I am really really nervous to post this comment for fear you canadians will attack me, but I have never heard of Henry Rollins*ducks!*

However I LOVE going to concerts and sounds like you guys had a blast, and peppermint hot chocolate very interesting! can you send some of that with Nutty's Mix CD?

I don't think you're a sucker that was really nice of you! I hope he used the card too

SuperSpyGal said...

I've never heard of him either *hiding behind Phats* .."hit him first !!"

Mike H said...

Oh you silly Americans. You might just be the people he tries to defend.

Phats said...

Whya re you hiding behind me spy?!? I think I should hide behind you, you're the superhero.

I love the 80s?? I thought for some reason he was in huey lewis and the news HAHA