Sunday, November 13, 2005

"You're out of your element, Donny"

Last night I actually went out to a party. It was totally an adult party, there were appetizers and wine. People talked about their jobs and how they met their significant other. I was totally out of my element.

But I did go with a friend, and she was kind of out of her element as well. She invited me so that we could both be the only 2 people who barely knew anybody there. Actually, she knew the hostess and her brother, whereas I knew nobody.

It's been so long that I've been to a social gathering, I was absolutely petrified most of the time. I don't mean, like, afraid to speak to anyone. I mean that I didn't really initiate any kind of conversation with anyone, but I responded to questions about myself if anybody saw fit to talk to me. I figured, 'I don't know anyone here, they all know each other, let THEM come to me'. So I didn't really end up talking to too many people.
I ended up doing a lot of crowd watching, and listening to what other people were talking about. There were, like, 10 couples there, and there were probably only 22 people, or something like that. This was not a party in which to meet any prospective ladies.

Overall I had a good time. I know now what not to do at a party. Do not just sit in a chair next to the one person you know and listen to her talk to others. I should have done more mingling, as soon as I figure out how to do that.

That's the not-so-exciting story of my Saturday night.

Monday should be much better as I'm going to see Henry Rollins with a work friend. But coincidence of the year, TGP is going as well! This should be grood.

Great and Good.

13 comments:

Phats said...

What?! No dancing, No Keg, No Togas? What kind of party was this?!

cher said...

i don't believe you when you say you had a good time. i see right through you. you hated it. every minute of it. i've been to these parties. You have to be in the right mood to feel comfortable in a room full of people you don't know. you needed to have slammed a few beers on an empty stomach first and then walked in. people you don't know seem a lot more interesting when you are nursing a good buzz.

the really weird thing is my friend jen is going to that concert too! she's a great big fat lady. but she's really nice and has long brown hair. she's going with her friend Bruce who is native and looks kinda like a retard. Tell me if you see them! But don't tell her i called her fat. even though she calls herself that.

that girl possessed said...

i can't stop laughing at cher's comment to make a decent comment of my own.

Mike H said...

TGP, we are SO keeping an eye out for those two.

Carly said...

you should have come to vancouver and visit me. tsk tsk.
the rainbow palace awaits.

SuperSpyGal said...

I agree with Cher....next time throw back a few before entering a party in which you don't know anyone....for one, it makes you a little more outgoing and secondly, if you make a fool out of yourself you won't remember in the morning and even if you did, you're too busy nursing the hangover to care !

Mike H said...

I would have gotten right sloshed if I wasn't the designated driver.

The thing about living where I do is, I have to drive everywhere if I want to have a social life. As a result, no drinky drinky for me.

But I did enjoy a nice glass of red wine early in the evening.

Phats said...

Take a cab!

that girl possessed said...

mr. mike hockey, please call me tomorrow and tell me when you are heading into town and such. i have no idea what i'm doing thus far, but i'm excited.

Mike H said...

Oh Phats, you think you have all the answers. You think I haven't thought of that already? Unfortunately I don't have $80 to spend on a cab to get there and back. It's more worth my while to drive everywhere.

TGP - Will do.

cher said...

for sure keep an eye out for them! spill a drink on her. she'll be really happy about it.

Phats said...

I am always 100% the DD myself, or I get to play bartender.

cher said...

phats- you better at least get gas money.