Monday, October 24, 2005

Top 5 Most Heartbreaking Breakups, #4

#4 - Natalie L.
I was in most of the same Grade 10 classes with Natalie (this was before I discovered the wooing power of mix tapes). It seems to go, that if you have the same classes with a girl you like, you get to know her a bit more. It's a universal truth.
She was having trouble with the Chemistry homework, I think, and I offered to help her because I had a little boy crush on her. Once she realized that I was interested in being her boyfriend she was all about it. We went on a few dates, mostly to bookstores, movies, and on walks. We never hung out at her place though, because of a bad family situation. She lived with her Mom during the school week, and was at her Dad's on the weekend. They had both remarried, but she was not a big fan of the guy she was supposed to call Stepdad.
Things moved along good. We held hands, we ate lunch with her group of girl friends. All of them seemed to like me. Everything was rosy. Then I finally got the guts to go for "the kiss."
This took some time, because we only really hung out on weekends, if I remember correctly. And I've already mentioned that I'm kind of a slow mover. Besides that, she was always really busy dealing with her parents and making a final decision on where she wanted to permanently live. So anyways, I went for the kiss when I dropped her off one night, and a few days later she dumped me.
Right out of the blue. I was on cloud nine because I had finally kissed the girl I liked, and she dumps me. Splat.
This made me believe that I was a bad kisser for a short period of time. I found out much later in life that I am, in fact, NOT a bad kisser.
She told me it was because things with her family were getting really hard to deal with and she didn't want me involved in any of it, but don't take it personally I was a really nice boy. Ouch. But I took it like a man, er boy. I believed her (who wouldn't?) and we parted ways.

I didn't see too much of Natalie after that aside from the classes we still had together through Grade 10-12. We didn't talk anymore, and I was sad about that. I thought that she was avoiding me, and she thought I was avoiding her. It was awkward whenever we were at the same party until Grade 12. But by then the awkwardness had faded into the past.
Then, on my first day of University, I saw her and some of her friends sitting in one of the study areas under a staircase close to my next class. I asked how things were going, and we found out that we had the same class together. We kind of ignored the whole past relationship thing and started a whole new friendship that day, her and her friends and I.
For the next 3 years we all hung out together, outside of school, and during our breaks together. She's really a very cool girl, always friendly. TGP knows what I'm talking about.

By now she's probably living in Paris teaching English to little French kids. If she's not, I'd be surprised. We kind of lost touch when I dropped out and didn't go to University anymore.

...maybe I'll e-mail her

7 comments:

that girl possessed said...

did i ever tell you i saw natalie a year or so ago at chapters in langtown? she'd been to paris and come back, but i think only to leave again... hmmm i don't know if i told you this.

Carly said...

hmmmm......
i love getting e-mails from far away people.
do it.
drop her a line.
honey pot commands it......little teddy bear.
though i've always wanted a monkey......

shipkicker said...

do i smell a reconciliation? ah probably not, i have a cold.

Phats said...

you should email her! This would make like a great after school special.

Carly said...

degrassi style!

Mike H said...

TGP - No! But we already discussed.

Honey Pot aka Cranberry - I don't even know if she's far away. Ha, I am a silly old bear.

Shippy - Reconciliation? Like, get back together with her? I think your cold is making you a little loopy.

Phats - Aren't I too old to be in an after school special? Isn't there like, an age limit to being in one, or something?

Mike H said...

Ms. Nutty! Natalie was the one who had the Zack Morris t-shirt. I could write a whole post about her and teh fun we had, but to keep the story short I omitted extraneous details.