Saturday, October 22, 2005

Top 5 Most Heartbreaking Breakups, #5

Remember that movie 'High Fidelity'? I LOVE this movie. It really just exudes mounds and mounds of coolness. The thing I like best about it is the fact that the characters make Top 5 lists of everything. The whole premise of the movie is based on this guy's Top 5 breakups and how he tries to get past them. Starring John Cusack, my movie hero of the 90's.

This got me thinking about my own experiences with breakups, there haven't been too many, but enough that I can have a Top 5.

It took me a little bit to decide on a #5, usually #5 is a throwaway pick that doesn't really affect the list too badly.

Here I go...

#5 - Melisa G.
We went out in the October of Grade 11 for one month. She was part of this 'cool' crowd, and I was just me, not part of any kind of crowd. We hung out on the weekends and she was pretty cool. She was very concerned about her hair, and it really was something to behold. All long and black and curly. It smelled really good. She made these most amazing mix tapes for me as well. These things were awesome. It got me started on my own mix tapes, that eventually led to making mix CD's that rock socks off.
She dumped me after a month because I wasn't really what she was looking for. Translation, I was too boring. It's true, I didn't really develop my winning personality until the next year, I was really boring. We didn't even kiss. I was a slow mover. I still am, I think.
She broke up with me over the phone, and I felt like such a fool. How tacky! Over the phone! I was just like, 'whatever', and we never really talked again after that. I vowed to never break up with someone over the phone after that experience.
She worked at Future Shop after graduation, and I would be social whenever I ran into her when I was buying CD's. I haven't seen her for a few years, so who knows what she's doing now but last I heard she's single. I remember hearing from someone that she's only had 2 boyfriends so far, and I was one of them. I guess that's kind of a nice distinction. But still, what a sucky relationship.

She did introduce me to books written by Kurt Vonnegut though, stories that I ended up liking so much that I've read nearly every one of his books.

6 comments:

that girl possessed said...

words cannot express how excited i am for the next few blog entries, but you know that already. i was far too excited at lunch today about them. (ps i think they were trying to kick us out, stupid short arms. oh and i drove through mission to get home)

Phats said...

uhh mix CD's ROCK! love em.

She broke up with you via phone that is tacky, boring or not she should have at least had the guts to do it face to face. When is #4 can't wait ha.

Mike H said...

#4 is coming up tomorrow after I get home from work.

Carly said...

good

Joshua said...

You really are all about High Fidelity if your own breakups involve mix-tapes. And running into your ex because you're buying CDs all the time. Except for you bought them at Future Shop, not some old-school record store with snobby record geeks, so that's minus a few hipster points for that faux-pas.

Don't let the pressure overwhelm you, even though you've now committed to give us four more of these things.

Mike H said...

TGP - You already know what happened for 4 of the 5!

Phats - You gain back one coolness point for agreeing with me.

Stephanie - I think it's the funniest, and one of the weirdest.

Josué - I wish there were more record stores like that around my area. I just can't justify driving 45+ minutes to find one. Have you seen the price of gas! As for pressure, do you really think I won't deliver? I've got this Top 5 list figured out.